Functionality and harmony with the environment
In one our previous posts, we mentioned that the basic task of an architect is to place every building on the best possible position on the plot of land, at the same time conforming to legal requirements, functionality, aesthetics and harmony with the environment.
The same rule applies to the swimming pools.
A swimming pool, often considered only as one huge “bathtub”, almost always requires proper landscaping in order to achieve an area where everyone feels good and comfortable.
Architecture of swimming pools and other important provisions
What should be said about swimming pool projects and what is there to be done before the works commence?!
- external swimming pools sunken bellow the ground level, up to the surface area of 100m2, located on the plot of the main building, can be built in accordance with Ordinance on simple and other construction works and works
- although they have been regulated by the Ordinance on simple and other construction works and works, concrete pools are considered to be complex buildings
- there is no need to obtain the building permit for the above mentioned types of swimming pools, but the following is required: main design (Architecture – configuration of the swimming pool, dimensions, functionality, position on the plot of land; Mechanical stability – reinforcements, thickness of the walls, concrete etc.; Engineering – swimming pool technology)
- surface area of the swimming pool is not considered as to be a part of floor area ratio
- distance from the boundary of the plot and other parameters of the position on the plot of land are defined by urban development plan. Sometimes it is possible to build a swimming pool on the boundary, but often the swimming pool should be at least 1-3 m further away from it.
- when designing a swimming pool, it is important to plan for the space for the external shower, engine room and water management and drainage systems.
- there are three main building phases: digging and preparation of the terrain, creation of the swimming pool shell (rough concrete works and the installations), finishing works (applying hydro-insulation, final layer of ceramic tiles, foils etc., and installing swimming pool technology)
- the administrative body responsible for construction works should be informed about the works in advance, at least 8 days before the works commence.
The gallery below represents some of the building stages, and the finished pool with details can be seen on the page Project for a swimming pool on the island of Korčula.